Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Campaign

Recently screened the new Will Ferrell movie, THE CANDIDATE.  First let me say that I was not totally disappointed.  Just, that I was partially disappointed.  More on why coming.

Will Ferrell plays a 4 time United States Congressman from the 14th District in North Carolina named, Cam Brady.  Cam is the perfect politician, telling his constituents what THEY want to hear and promising anything to get reelected.  Zach Galifianakis plays a local town tourism director with extremely non-male tendencies named, Marty Huggins.

John Lithgow and Dan Aykroyd play the Motch Brothers.  Two multi-billionaires who want control of the district and want to be in control of the congressman of that district.  Cam Brady runs unopposed so they hand-pick Marty to be their man and pour 1 million dollars into his PAC to fund a very dirty campaign against Cam.

Do not feel sorry for Cam as he knows how to fight fire with fire, tit-for-tat, and this is where the funny of the movie goes.  Slapstick and profanity riddled commentary comes from both political camps.  Got a little much for me, although I chuckled when the baby got punched.  The CGI for that was awesome.

Where I was disappointed was with Will Ferrell.  He seems to just reuse story plot points from movie to movie.  That just gets old.  What was refreshing is the humor that Zack Galifianakis brings to the movie.  I have enjoyed his work since TRU LIVES and he has yet to make me laugh.

The movie cast is rounded out nicely by Dylan McDermott, Katherine LaNasa and Sarah Baker.  The scene stealer award goes to Karen Maruyama as the maid.

I will not tell you here who wins.  Email me at Mark@salsatv.com for that.  Or go see it yourself and find out.

Rated R for crude sexual content, language and brief nudity

No comments:

Post a Comment