Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Bourne Legacy

I want to start this by telling you how much I have enjoyed the last 3 Bourne movies.  All are in my DVD collection and I still view them.  I will even stop when channel surfing if I catch them on USA or another cable outlet.  The fact I am not a Matt Damon fan, does not matter with these movies.  They play fast and keep my attention glued to the screen, not my watch.

So the fourth movie in the Bourne franchise comes out.  No Matt Damon, yeaaa, Directed by Tony Gilmore, the writer of the first three Bournes, double yeaaaa.  Rachael Weisz and Jeremy Renner to star and many former antagonist back also.  What could go wrong here?

Backstory.  Oh My Gosh.  I am a fan of backstory, I usually complain when there is not enough backstory.  I want to know why characters act the way they do and what inflictions they have endured to say what they say.  I am a voracious reader, reading up to 5 books a week on many topics.  I love backstory in the books.  Now this movie in my opinion is 95%  backstory.  It moves with the pace of the glacier that Renner is near at the beginning of the movie.  45 minutes late we find him 1/4 mile down the road but know his history. ( maybe slight exaggeration there )  45 minutes later we know the back story of almost everyone in the cast.

There is a new bad guy, Edward Norton as Eric Byer.  He is a go getter and he wants all the participants of PROJECT BLACKBRIER removed from the scene.  He does a good job with the antagonist role and you reallycan not wait to see how the Bourne operatives destroy him, or maybe he will get them all?

The movie is rated PG-13 for violence, Drug use.  No real profanity and no sex.

In the future I will not complain so loudly about backstory.  I have seen where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment