Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Conan; The Barbarian

Conan; The Barbarian, A Review

by Mark Kennedy on Wednesday, August 17, 2011
So I see CONAN, The Barbarian tonight. Here is my review and thoughts. First, I wish I had the concession on the fake blood used in the movie....Buckets of it. Everyone seems to have a major artery running on their back because when they get sliced the blood just shoots into the air. Second, if I could not have the blood detail I want the fake skull unit. I mean there must have been thousands and thousands of people killed around the area for the number of skulls to be just lying around. Third, whenever I get my chance to rule the entire world and have thousands of peons in my army, I will send them to kill the hero and not try to do it alone. That seems to be the one mistake in all the bad guys minds that they can do it all themselves. I ask myself, why employ all these armies when you are going to try to kill one guy by yourself. It never seems to work. Now to the movie.
Conan's birth is a violent one on a battlefield. His Mother is wounded and the Husband finishes the Cesarean that brings Conan into the world. Conan's Father is played by Ron Perlman (Hellboy, Season of the Witch). He seems to play sword wielders’’ really well and does so here. He gets a most fascinating death also. Conan is played by Jason Momoa,( TVs, Baywatch and Cable TV..Game of Thrones) He is a sultry and sulking young man. His main downfall is that he talks too much. I want the Arnold Swartzenegger Conan of few words. He does an adequate job though and will do better in the sequels. The damsel in distress is one very nice looking Rachel Nichols ( Star Trek and G.I. Joe) she is the true blood the bad guys played very nicely by Stephen Lang ( Avatar and The Men who Stare at Goats) and Rose McGowan (Planet Terror and TVs Charmed) In fact Rose is hard to even recognize unless you know it is her. Special effects are non obtrusive. Nice effects with some sand men. Why 3-D who knows, because they can.
There is one scene I will hint at and only say it makes you appreciate your sinuses cavity.
The Art Director was James Steuart and he used a lot of good green screen scenes that were a homage to artist Frank Frazetta who passed away in 2010. Frazetta did a lot of Conan art work in his heyday.
Go see Conan, the Barbarian. Just go and expect what the title tells you to expect.
The movie is rated R for violence,( Duh ), Sex, yes there is an copulation scene and a lot of the women wear no tops

No comments:

Post a Comment